Wednesday 18 January 2017

My column in this weeks Visiter

My week began with a Citizenship Ceremony held in the Mayor’s Parlour at Southport Town Hall. I am a great fan of this relatively recent introduction which marks the awarding of British Citizenship with a dignified ceremony. These events clearly lay out what it is to be a British Citizen and, for the individuals concerned, mark the culmination of what may have been a long and exacting process. This week we welcomed two new citizens;  Priya Sugadhamma and Mohammad Mahmud Hasan Sarker. They were accompanied by their family and friends. Both have been settled in the UK and I am sure that they will be valued members of our community

One of my key responsibilities as Mayor is to chair the full Council meeting. Readers of the Visiter will already be aware that there is some highly controversial budget proposal coming before the next meeting so I shall have to be on my metal chairing what promises to be a lively gathering.

On Friday, I shall be hosting a fundraising coffee morning for the Alzheimer’s charity in the Mayor’s Parlour at Southport. This has been organised by Anna Ingram.

Also in the diary is a Burn’s Night organised by the Crosby Scouts. I see from the invitation that they are keen I should wear my kilt-well we’ll have to see about that. I have been very impressed with the way the Scouts have made themselves relevant to young people and it is very pleasing to see their numbers growing.

Next up will be the Chinese New Year. We have one of the longest established Chinese communities in Europe and they have made a significant contribution to our region so it will be a pleasure to participate in their festivities.

 I have also been invited to a special service to mark the Women’s World Day of Prayer which is to be held at Lord Street West United Reform Church in Southport. This promises to be of particular interest as this special service has been prepared by the women of the Philippines.


Finally, I would like to alert readers to another event; the Mayor’s Charity Ball which will be held on 1st April. My charity committee has been hard at work organising this event and it promises to be a great occasion. Tickets will be on sale soon and all the proceeds will go to local charities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment